Monday, September 17, 2012

three months & counting

a few days old
Mia is three months old today. Where has the time gone?

three months old
When I first held her I remember thinking, how will I ever leave you? how did you come from me? will I ever be good enough for you? i remember feeling overwhelmed. but as i held her i knew it was responsibility to know and love my Mia. to understand her quirks, her favorites, her humor, and her smile. the journey of a lifetime began on June 19. I have never know what a mother's love is and how strongly it beats until I had my baby girl.

In these three months I have learned that God is the giver of all good things. While learning about my bundle of joy I have learned more about myself than I ever knew. Caring for a baby gives you lots of time for introspection. Where my strength ends, His begins. He has carried me through the sleepless nights and unpaid bills and has taught me that Sara cannot accomplish anything on her own, at least anything eternally worthwhile. If I have been entrusted with this precious child then it is up to me to raise her to serve the God of the universe, the God who holds the stars in his hands. He has given me life, and life more abundantly. He wants everything from me: my family, my dreams, my future, my relationships, and all of my passion. When I surrender everything to Him, he takes it all for His glory and I am showered with blessings.

Mia has never wanted for anything, except more milk! She has an insatiable appetite! I am even grateful for that. She is healthy, and strong. The instinct instilled in a mother is so complex and natural, I pour out love for her out of places in my heart I have never been to. The Creator knew what he was doing when He made mothers. My God has supplied all of our needs according to His riches in Glory! O Praise Him! He is Good! I have never had to buy a single diaper, wipe, onesie, or piece of baby equipment for my darling girl. With three baby showers, a large extended family, loving church ladies, and a huge network of a support system that our family is blessed to have in several states, we have been provided for abundantly! Our angel can't even get through all of the clothes that were saved, made, or bought for her. Thousands of diapers are piled up in her closet. Her nursery is packed with our yellow and grey baby things. Our living room is overwhelmed with a swing bouncer, car seat, and play gym underfoot. Everything she has was given from good friends by a good God.

I have watched my newborn unravel into an infant. She has stretched and yawned and cooed her way out to 23+ inches. She has a contagious smile, a head full of hair that won't stop growing, and fists that she sucks every chance she gets. I remember her first week of smiles, we were head over heels in love when she smiled back. Now she is enthralled with her hands and taking to the bird on her mobile. She grasps things with purpose, she fascinates herself with her own hands. She loves baths and bedtime, especially when we get to the part where we rub her feet. I expect to be sharing many pedicures with my firstborn.

Mia loves to be held so she is standing up, and if you give in to this demand you will be rewarded with squeals of delight. Her favorite toy is the little pink elephant, she chews at her ears and strokes her trunk and tail. When I bring Mia to church she likes to be held so that she can see everything during the worship service. After the meet and greet she is worn out with socializing and falls right to sleep in my arms during the service. Whenever I am getting ready to go out, I prop her up on top of the dryer so she can watch me get ready. She watches me intently while I do my make up and dry my hair. She loves when I turn the dryer on her! Her own hair is so curly when it's wet. I can even see some curls poking out around her ears now. Maybe my husband rubs miracle grown on her scalp while I'm gone.

This little lady is a daddy's girl all the way. She loves her mama for sure, always calming down in my arms to the cadence I sway her in. However, there is a no mistaking her interest in her daddy. And the feeling is mutual. They are fast friends and she knows daddy is good for playtime and silly songs and games. Adam hardly flinches at an explosive diaper or a fussy afternoon. He handles her patiently and with a positive attitude. On a saturday last week he took care of Mia from 8 am till her bedtime at 11. Most dads would call incessantly and panic. Not my husband. I expected to come home to chaos but I found my precious girl sleeping soundly in her crib, already fed, changed, bathed, swaddled, sung to, and tucked in. I am blessed with a conscientious husband who cares for his little bundle of joy so gently.

If this is just the beginning, I cannot wait to see how many more blessings my little family has in store. Bring it on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment